Big Country Kitchen: Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Tart
Summer is just about over, we know. Before you bake anything and everything pumpkin, though, we have one last summer recipe for you to try: Vegan lemon tart with a gluten-free crust flakier than you can imagine. Yes, it’s luscious and lemony, and, yes, it’s perfect year-round.Health is wealth. Whether you’re 100% vegan or not (you do you), this tart calls for vegan, organic ingredients – better for you, better for the planet. Yet, it still tastes divine and is ridiculously easy to make. If you plan on serving a crowd, you can make it the day of. Be sure to use Big Country Organic ingredients to complete your bake!
Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Tart
Recipe Credit: Ciarra Siller of Peanut Butter + Chocolate
For the Crust
- 3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 cup vegan butter, chilled
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Big Country Organic Cane Sugar
- ¼-⅓ cup cold water
For the Lemon Filling
- 1⅓ cup full-fat coconut milk, canned
- 1⅓ cup Big Country Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 1 pinch turmeric, optional for color
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a 9-inch tart pan with non-stick spray.
- For the crust, place the flour, butter, sugar, and salt into a food processor and pulse 3-4 times. Add in the water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing between each addition until mixture is crumbly and sticks together when pressed between your fingers.
- Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to pack it tightly. Place a piece of parchment paper over the crust and fill it with pie weights or rice. Bake the crust for 15 minutes. Remove the pie weights and parchment paper and return to the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- Place all the filling ingredients (except the turmeric) into a pot over medium-high heat. Whisk until the curd is thick and coats the back of a spoon, about 4-5 minutes. Watch carefully that the mixture doesn't boil. If it feels too hot, reduce the heat to medium-low. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the lemon filling to the crust and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Dust with Big Country Organic Powdered Sugar if desired.
How easy was that? Lemon deliciousness awaits. The tart should last in the refrigerator for up to four days (but we’re thinking it’ll be gone by then…). Share your creations and follow us @bigcountryfood on Instagram for more content and recipes!
Sample Block Quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo loremous convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos.
Sample Paragraph Text
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.
Cras suscipit quam et turpis eleifend vitae malesuada magna congue. Damus id ullamcorper neque. Sed vitae mi a mi pretium aliquet ac sed elitos. Pellentesque nulla eros accumsan quis justo at tincidunt lobortis denimes loremous. Suspendisse vestibulum lectus in lectus volutpat, ut dapibus purus pulvinar. Vestibulum sit amet auctor ipsum.